Jump to content

Squadron patch/insigna


saville

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest intruder

Federazione Russa, Corpo Aeroportato (motto: Побеждают сильнейшие, Il più forte vince")

 

229_1.jpg

Edited by intruder
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest intruder

South African Air Force, 1st Squadron

 

squadron_insignia.jpg

 

1 Squadron

"Prima" (First)

 

Formed at AFS Zwartkop in February 1920 with DH-9's of the Imperial Gift. In 1936/7, the squadron moved to Waterkloof with its Harts and later received the Hartbees. On 31 August 1939 it was redesignated 1 Bomber/Fighter Squadron, but in December 1939 the squadron was redesignated 11 (Bomber) Squadron.

 

The squadron was reformed in February 1940 by renumbering 6 Squadron and equipped with four Hurricane Mk 1's and six Furies. After seeing action against Italy in East Africa during 1940, the squadron moved to Egypt in 1941, fighting in the Western Desert. At this stage, they acquired their nickname - The Billy Boys - because whenver successful in combat, the South African pilots would chatter over the radio 'Jou Bielie' (roughly translated as 'you clever chap')! By June 1943 the squadron was in Malta, then Sicily and thereafter for the rest of the war in Italy, by which time it was flying various marques of Spitfire.

 

Reformed at AFB Swartkop in 1946, the squadron flew Harvards until moving to AFB Waterkloof in June 1947 with their new Spitfire MkIXe's. These were replaced with Vampires in 1950 and Sabre Mk6's in September 1956. The squadron moved to AFB Pietersburg in 1967, but returned to AFB Waterkloof in late 1975.

 

The Squadron re-equipped with the Mirage F1AZ's in 1976. The squadron moved to the new AFB Hoedspruit in January 1981. On 25 November 1997 the F1AZ's were retired and the squadron stood down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest intruder

SAAF, 103 Squadron

 

squadron_insignia.jpg

 

 

Established as 103 Air Commando on 24 September 1963 at Potchefstroom Airfield. The unit was staffed by volunteer aircrew flying civilian aircraft.

 

With effect from 1st October 1968 control of 103 Commando Squadron passed from the SA Army to the S.A.A.F.. The squadron came under total control of Tactical Group. Transferred to Light Aircraft Command, S.A.A.F. in 1970.

 

103 Squadron was transferred from AFB Potchefstroom to AFB Swartkop in 1992.

 

In terms of S.A.A.F. HQ "Plan 90" 103 Commando Squadrons was disbanded on 31st March 1993. Suitable members were transferred to 106 and 111 Commando Squadrons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest intruder

squadron_insignia.jpg

 

 

 

SAAF, 89 Combat Flying School

"Exercitati delendo" (We train to kill)

 

Established on 1 July 1986 from the Mirage Flight of 85 Combat Flying School at AFB Pietersburg, the role of the unit was to train aircrew on Mirage type aircraft, with a secondary air defence role. The first Cheetah D2 was delivered on 26 July 1986 and continued to provide the Cheetah Operational Conversion Course, Strike Navigator Course and Special Weapons Operator Course.

 

From 6th November 1992, 89 Combat Flying School started merging with 2 Squadron to become Training Flight, 2 Squadron. The Cheetah D aircraft, operated by 89 Combat Flying School was also transferred from AFB Pietersburg to 2 Squadron on 6th November 1992. Flying operations was conducted under command of 2 Squadron as from that date .

 

89 Combat Flying School was disbanded on 29th November 1992. All personnel were to be transferred to AFB Louis Trichardt by 31st December 1992 and in January 1993 the remaining equipment of the unit was moved to AFB Louis Trichardt to be absorbed into 2 Squadron. The complete transition was ordered to be completed by 28th February 1993.

Edited by intruder
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest intruder

squadron_insignia.jpg

 

88 Maritime Operational Training School

"Custodes litorum doce" (We teach the guardians of the shores)

 

Established as Maritime Operational Training Unit (MOTU) 1st February 1968 at AFB Ysterplaat, later chanigning it's name to 88 Advanced Flying School.

 

The helicopter capabilities of Maritime command was extended after the establishment of 30 Sqn in early 1981 and a need for maritime training for chopper crew became apparent. 88 AFS was asked to develop a maritime orientation course. In conjunction with 30 Squadron, the School developed the course, which was presented to members of 30 and 15 Squadron's Puma and Frelon crews.

 

Name later changed to 88 Maritime Operational Training School. In November 1985, 88 MOTS moved to DF Malan Airport. Flying operations of 88 Maritime Operational Flying School was ordered to cease and the unit was disbanded on 31st December 1990.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SAC Crow

mytery-crow.gif

 

 

Dean C. Spraggins, USAF (ret) jspragg@iw.net

wrote, "The cigar-smoking SAC crow was the province of the electronic combat community, and was often worn by B-52 EW officers. The underwing bundle of lightning bolts represented ECM ("jamming" to the uninitiated). The crow had for some years been a critter associated with electronic warfare (cf. the international Association of Old Crows). "Every Crow a Tiger" was a long-standing motto of bomber EW officers, sometimes printed with this emblem when it was used on walls or podiums -- hence the tiger tail.

Les Robbins wrote, "The SAC Crow patches most likely represent the mission of the Electronic Warfare Officer (EWO) on the crew. He operated radar jamming as well as radar homing and warning equipment on the aircraft. A nickname for the EWO is "Raven". Most all EWOs belong to the Association of "Old Crows". The crow on the patch signifies the work that the EWOs do on the many varied missions of SAC and other commands (ACC including several special ops missions now).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest intruder

squadron_insignia.jpg

 

86 Multi-Engine Flying School

"Docemus Volatum" (We Teach Flying)

 

 

After the end of WW II, multi-engine conversion training in the SAAF was initially conducted at the units operating multi-engine aircraft.

In early 1950 it was reported that a conversion course onto Dakota and Ventura-type aircraft was conducted at CFS. Multi-engine conversion was later conducted by 44 Squadron. The training was done at AFS Swartkop and AFS Ysterplaat. At the end of 1967 it was decided to centralize the training at AFS Swartkop in order to maintain an equal standard in multi-engine conversion. As a result a Multi-engine Conversion Flight was established as part of 44 Squadron at AFS Swartkop.

 

The Multi-engine Conversion Flight, 44 Sqn was redesignated Multi Engine Conversion Unit (MECU) on 1st February 1968 at AFB Swartkop. In July 1968 the unit was relocated to AFB Bloemspruit in order to escape the dense air traffic in the Pretoria area. The first conversion course at AFB Bloemspruit was commenced in September 1968. Because of the proximity of Tempe, the unit became involved in the training of instructors in paratrooping techniques. The unit was redesignated 86 Advanced Flying School on 1st January 1973, before finally being called 86 Mult-Engined Flying School (86 MEFS) in the mid-1980's.

 

 

In 1995, Casa 212 and Casa 235 aircraft were transferred from the TBVC-state air wings. After the phasing out of the Dakota C47-TP and the addition of the CASA's 86 MEFS started functioning as a regular transport squadron.

 

 

86 MEFS was to cease operations on 31st December 1997 when the squadron was absorbed by 44 Squadron at Waterkloof.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest intruder

squadron_insignia.jpg

 

SAAF, 8 Squadron

"Usque Ad Mortem" (Until Death)

 

Formed in February 1942 using Furies of 43 Squadron and disbanded in August of the same year, this squadron never became operational and was one of the shortest-lived SAAF units of World War II.

 

The squadron was reinstated on 1 January 1951 as the citizen force element of 24 Squadron, based at Bloemspruit flying Harvards. All members, including the Commanding Officer, were citizen force members, with the exception of Testing and Assessing Officers. In 1957 the squadron was split into permanent (PF) and citizen force elements, with the PF instructors presenting the Harvard Weapons Course. Until 1970 all Harvard Weapons Courses in the SAAF were done by 8 Squadron. In 1973 the unit became the fourth SAAF squadron to convert to the Impala Mk I and in November 1974 the squadron became the first in the SAAF to be equipped with the Impala Mk II. The squadron ended its long association with Bloemfontein when they relocated physically to AFB Hoedspruit from 1 April 1999. The squadron was disbanded on 31 March 2001

Link to comment
Share on other sites

va25sqpi.JPG

This is a patch for the "Fist of the Fleet". They were A-7 drivers out on the West Coast with a history dating back to January 1943. They currently operate the F/A-18C Hornet out of NAS Lemoore, CA. This is their legacy patch. This was created by hand in the Phillipines to give it the "authentic" look and feel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest intruder

squadron_insignia.jpg

 

SAAF 7 Squadron

"Caelorum Domini" (Lords of the Sky)

 

Dating back to 12 January 1942 when the squadron was formed at Swartkop equipped with Harvards and Mohawks, the squadron re-equipped with Hurricane Mk Is in April and moved to Egypt. Additional Hurricane Mk IIs were received in July 1942 and the squadron flew various patrols and air/ground missions. With the war in Africa over, the squadron re-equipped with the Spitfire Mk V in July 1943 and flew convoy escort and fighter-interception sorties. In September 1943 the squadron was moved to Cyprus and Kos in order to provide air cover for the ill-fated invasion of the Dodecanese Islands. By the beginning of October the German landing operations began and the squadron made a hurried retreat back to North Africa. In April 1944, flying Spitfire Mk IXs, the squadron rejoined 7 wing in Italy and flew fighter-bomber, armed reconnaissance and bomber escort sorties. With the war in Europe over, the squadron was sent to the Far East, but the war in the Pacific ended and the squadron was turned back at Ceylon. Returning to south Africa, the squadon was disbanded on 10 September 1945.

 

Reformed at Ysterplaat in August 1951 with Harvards, the squadron was disbanded in 1959. Once again, the Harvard equipped squadron was reformed, this time at Youngsfield in the Cape on 1 August 1961. Moving to Ysterplaat late in 1969, the squadron received the Impala Mk I in 1977 when it was a citizen force unit. In 1978 the squadron moved to Cape Town International Airport, but was transferred to AFB Langebaanweg before moving to AFB Pietersburg in the early 1990's, by this time also flying the Impala Mk II. The squadron was disbanded in December 1992.

Edited by intruder
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest intruder

squadron_insignia.jpg

 

SAAF, 7 Squadron

"Caelorum Domini" (Lords of the Sky)

 

Dating back to 12 January 1942 when the squadron was formed at Swartkop equipped with Harvards and Mohawks, the squadron re-equipped with Hurricane Mk Is in April and moved to Egypt. Additional Hurricane Mk IIs were received in July 1942 and the squadron flew various patrols and air/ground missions. With the war in Africa over, the squadron re-equipped with the Spitfire Mk V in July 1943 and flew convoy escort and fighter-interception sorties. In September 1943 the squadron was moved to Cyprus and Kos in order to provide air cover for the ill-fated invasion of the Dodecanese Islands. By the beginning of October the German landing operations began and the squadron made a hurried retreat back to North Africa. In April 1944, flying Spitfire Mk IXs, the squadron rejoined 7 wing in Italy and flew fighter-bomber, armed reconnaissance and bomber escort sorties. With the war in Europe over, the squadron was sent to the Far East, but the war in the Pacific ended and the squadron was turned back at Ceylon. Returning to south Africa, the squadon was disbanded on 10 September 1945.

 

Reformed at Ysterplaat in August 1951 with Harvards, the squadron was disbanded in 1959. Once again, the Harvard equipped squadron was reformed, this time at Youngsfield in the Cape on 1 August 1961. Moving to Ysterplaat late in 1969, the squadron received the Impala Mk I in 1977 when it was a citizen force unit. In 1978 the squadron moved to Cape Town International Airport, but was transferred to AFB Langebaanweg before moving to AFB Pietersburg in the early 1990's, by this time also flying the Impala Mk II. The squadron was disbanded in December 1992.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...