Jump to content

F-22 Raptor crashes - Tyndall AFB


Recommended Posts

F-22 Raptor crashes at Tyndall AFB


TYNDALL AIR FORCE BASE, Fla. (AFNS) -- An F-22 Raptor crashed Nov. 15, at 3:30 p.m. on Tyndall Air Force , Fla., one quarter mile east of the drone runway.


Highway 98 has been closed from Dupont Bridge to the "Welcome to Mexico Beach" sign as a safety precaution. The incident is not on Highway 98.


The pilot ejected from the aircraft safely and is currently under supervision of the 325th Medical Group. First responders are on scene.


The cause of the crash is still under investigation and additional details will be provided as soon as they become available.




F-22 Raptor Crashes At Tyndall AFB con un'intervista video http://www.wjhg.com/video/?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=7965724


Officials at Tyndall Air Force Base are investigating why an F-22 Raptor crashed.


The fighter jet went down at 3:32 p.m., about a quarter of a mile west of the Drone Launch Facility.


The pilot, who has not been identified, was able to bail out seconds before the crash, apparently waiting until the last minute to eject so he could send the plane into a non populated area of the base, just off Hwy. 98.


Col. David Graff, who was just installed yesterday as the new commander of the 325th Fighter Wing, told News Channel 7 the pilot was not a student. When rescue crews found him, they say he was in good shape with no obvious major injuries. However, he was taken to a hospital.


Tyndall is the Air Force home for F-22 training and will soon be home to a fully operation/combat ready fighter wing.


Col. Graff told reporters the F-22 was returning to Tyndall but could not say if the pilot had reported any problems to air traffic controllers. He also said he did not believe there were any of the oxygen problems that had plagued several F-22 pilots until apparently resolved a few months ago.


“The F-22 is a phenomenal aircraft, the best we have in the United States,” said Col. Graff. “I have full confidence in its capabilities and flight worthiness.”


The F-22 burst into flames when it hit the ground. Toxic material, believed to be jet fuel, was reported and a Hazmat team was called in to assist. Highway 98 from the Tyndall Bridge (Dupont Bridge) east through the base to Mexico Beach was closed for about two and a half hours before base officials sounded the all clear to let highway traffic resume.


Ironically this crash happened today on the same day as the Air Force issued it's findings on that last F-22 mishap at Tyndall back in May. That incident was apparently pilot error.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Safety paramount as F-22 investigation continues


TYNDALL AIR FORCE BASE, Fla. -- The pilot of a F-22 Raptor, assigned to the 43rd Fighter Squadron, safely ejected as the jet crashed Nov. 15 around 3:30 p.m. on Tyndall Air Force Base one-quarter mile east of the drone runway.


Despite initial media speculation, there are no indications that point to the life support system leading to this incident or playing any role in Tyndall's F-22 crash; however, a thorough investigation is being conducted in accordance with standard Air Force and Defense Department policy. The pilot was conducting a routine training mission when first responders were alerted of a problem via an inflight emergency call and were on scene fighting the fire within two minutes of the incident.


"Our first responders reacted quickly and professionally due to the extensive training we conduct here at Tyndall," said Col. David Graff, 325th Fighter Wing commander. "In addition, the pilot received top-notch care from our medical group."


A safety team here began interviewing witnesses, maintainers and other individuals immediately after the incident.


"Right now, our number one priority is the safety of our Airmen and all involved as we secure the scene of the incident," Colonel Graff said.


The first step taken in the securing process was a sweep by explosive ordnance disposal Airmen for any parts of the aircraft that may be explosive.


Follow-on steps include addressing environmental and biological hazards. Most modern aircraft are made of composite fibers, which can create health concerns for people on the scene when a plane catches fire.


Tyndall first responders are well trained and equipped to respond to aircraft crashes and minimize their effects on surrounding areas, Colonel Graff said. Throughout the initial and continued responses all personnel have worn the appropriate protective gear, and they will continue to do so until the immediate site of the crash is deemed safe.


While safety is the primary concern, preserving the accident scene is a critical part of the investigation. All evidence will be photographed and tagged to preserve all evidence for the official safety investigation board members.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

La ripresa delle attività di volo degli F-22 della Tyndall AFB è stata autorizzata ....


Dal "Daily Report" dell' AFA di questa mattina ....




F-22 Flight Operations Resume at Tyndall .....



The 325th Fighter Wing at Tyndall AFB, Fla., resumed F-22 flight operations on Nov. 19, four days after wing leadership stood them down following the crash of one of the unit's Raptors on the base grounds.


Wing Commander Col. David Graff ....




.... flew one of the first Raptor sorties as the flights resumed, according to the base's release.




"I have complete confidence in the F-22 and its reliability," stated Graff.


He added, "We will continue to accomplish our mission while the safety investigation board searches for the cause of last week's accident."


The Air Force has initiated a SIB to ensure there are no F-22 fleet-wide issues associated with the crash.


The service will then conduct an accident investigation board whose findings will be publicly releasable, said wing officials.


The pilot safely ejected from the F-22 during the Nov. 15 mishap ....




.... but the airplane was lost, as the photo below shows.



Shown is a photograph of the F-22 Raptor crash site from the incident Nov. 15 on Tyndall.

325th Fighter Wing officials are continuing to investigate and secure the scene.

The pilot safely ejected from the aircraft and first responders were on the scene in less than two minutes.

(U.S. Air Force photo by Lisa Norman)


Tyndall is home to the Air Force's F-22 schoolhouse.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 8 months later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...