Vai al contenuto

Lo HUEY va in pensione

deny

Messaggi raccomandati

• 2 anni dopo...
Ospite intruder

The end of an era: Hohenfels trains last Huey pilots

Four Army aviators training at the Joint Multinational Readiness Center in Hohenfels, Germany, this March marked the beginning of the end for an aircraft that has been one of the most recognizable faces of Army aviation for half a century.

The new observer/controllers with the JMRC ‘Falcon’ team are the last pilots at Hohenfels, and among the last Army-wide, that will train to fly the UH-1 Huey helicopter, an aircraft used most notably in the Vietnam War and made famous in movies such as ‘We Were Soldiers.’

“It’s kind of the end of an era,” said Chief Warrant Officer 4 Ben Maupin, a Falcon and one of five remaining Huey standardization instructor pilots.

According to Maupin, there are only approximately 60 Hueys still used in the active Army and 70 in the Army National Guard, none of which are used in combat.

Hohenfels plans to retire its fleet in April 2010 when UH-72 Lakotas will replace their ten Hueys that were built in the 1970’s.

By this September the National Guard will turn in their remaining Hueys and by October 2012 all Hueys throughout the Army will be retired, most of which will be sent to foreign military sales in Temple, Texas, according to Chief Warrant Officer 4 Sean Higgins, UH-1 and UH-72 branch chief and director of evaluation and standards for the United States Army Aviation Center at Fort Rucker, Ala.

Capt. Sam Redding, one of the four pilots training at Hohenfels, said he is lucky to be one of the last pilots to fly an aircraft with such a rich history.

“There were some helicopters before (the UH-1), but the Huey is the workhorse. The technology that has been used in Iraq and Afghanistan was developed on the Huey. It is a multipurpose airframe that has gotten us to where we are now. It’s a pride thing,” he said.

Maj. Heidi Ridenhour-Jones, who, like Redding trained on Blackhawks in flight school, said piloting the Huey is a great opportunity.

“People are not going to be flying these anymore. There is a lot of aviation history that revolves around the Hueys, but I thought it would be an airframe I just never got to fly. This is a great opportunity to get to fly an aircraft most people won’t be able to say that they have flown.”

Though these aviators are proud to be part of a significant chapter in military history, Redding said the training is not just nostalgia, it is necessity.

Pilots with the Falcon team must be able to operate the Hueys to fulfill their mission as an observer/controller.

According to Maupin, they are used to observe aviation units that come to JMRC to train, as well as to help other training units practice using helicopters in combat for tasks such as extracting injured Soldiers from the battlefield.

He said because its newer counterparts-Blackhawks and Apaches-are needed in Iraq and Afghanistan the Hueys are serving a few more years until retirement than expected.

Lt. Col. James Barker, Falcon commander, said though they are now used solely for training, Heuys were once an important link between Army aviators and the Soldiers on the ground, especially in Vietnam.

“The ground forces in Vietnam truly considered the Hueys and the pilots their guardians. Since then as Army aviation has evolved we have grown further away with the relationship we had with the ground Soldiers, until Iraq and Afghanistan when Army aviators, especially our helicopter fleet, has regained the trust of our ground brothers,” he said, telling a story about a Soldier wounded in Iraq who, upon seeing the medical evacuation helicopter pilot said, “I knew you would come.”

“Having experienced that relationship on deployment, to come back here and fly the Huey, that is the granddaddy of the helicopters now, is really a rare and special opportunity.”

http://www.sofmag.com/wp/2009/04/15/the-en...st-huey-pilots/

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

A completamento della discussione riporto queste simpatiche opinioni di piloti americani riguardo l'UH-1 ed UH-60, riportate su di un libro fotografico di 20 anni fa.

<<Lo Huey fu progettato per l'evacuazione sanitaria; è un elicottero semplice con un singolo ed affidabile sistema idraulico ed un motore a turbina che può essere sforacchiato dalle pallottole e ciononostante portarti a casa. Sebbene fosse stato progettato per una missione singola, ne abbiamo fatto un eccellente tuttofare ed una piattaforma di tiro.

Ci vorra tempo (siamo nel 1989, ndA) prima che l'elicottero polivalente UH-60 possa sostituire l'UH-1. Diversamente dagli Huey, gli UH-60 non hanno particolari separatori per proteggere i loro nuovi motori dalla sabbia. Dopo 200 ore di volo sui deserti dell'Egitto, i motori degli UH-60 hanno dovuto essere sositituiti a causa dell'abrasione. Gli Huey non la temono.

La struttura ed i pattini dell'Huey sono così forti che si può sbattere la macchina per terra senza danneggiarla molto. Non c'è pilota che non abbia mai piegato qualche pattino, se ha volato abbastanza. Chiunque sia entrato ed uscito da zone di controllo ristrette ha dovuto prendere delle scorciatoie in entrata ed in uscita. I rotori dell'Huey sono abbastanza forti per questo. Si possono fare a pezzi piccoli cespugli ed anche dei rami senza procurarsi molto danno. Una volta ho schiantato un Huey contro un albero di teak da un'altezza di 60m. Sono ancora qui perchè l'elicottero è stato in grado di sopportarlo.

In Vietnam, gli Huey ritornavano dal combattimento dopo aver perso dei pezzi senza i quali l'elicottero teoricamente non avrebbe potuto volare. L'Huey è stato il B-17 della guerra del Vietnam.>>

Un pilota di UH-1, Riserva dell'Esercito, Fort Meade

A confronto, quelli del Black Hawk...

<<L'UH-60 non è completamente automatico, ma è in grado di volare senza che si tocchino i comandi. Quando è in volo stazionario si possono mettere i piedi sul pavimento, staccare le mani dalla barra del passo ciclico, tirare tutto il collettivo (il comando del rotore principale) quanto si vuole, ed il Black Hawk sale come un ascensore.

Si può avere qualche spostamento laterale per il vento, ma altrimenti si potrebbe mantenrere perfettamente la prua. Ci vuole parecchio per abituarcisi.

Il Black Hawk trasporta il doppio del carico esterno che porta l'Huey, ma quanto all'interno, ha lo stesso numero di posti. Quando simuliamo l'ambiente di combattimento, ciascuno deve allacciare le cinture di sicurezza, ma in combattimento reale probabilmente lasceremo a terra i sedili, metteremo a bordo 20 persone, tireremo una cinghia attraverso le porte laterali e ce ne andremo via così.

Sul Black Hawk ci può essere mancanza di spazio, ma non certo di potenza, ne abbiamo più di quanto ce ne possa servire. Possiamo persino tirare qualche g negativo. Sugli Huey c'è un certo ritardo tra quando si sposta a destra il comando del passo ciclico e quando l'elicottero si muove dalla stessa parte. Non sul Black Hawk.

L'UH-60 ha possibilità maggiori di quelle dell'UH-1, ma la sua complessità lo rende più difficile da riparare in area operativa. I piloti del Black Hawk prendono in giro quelli degli Huey dicendo: "I pattini sono per i ragazzini", ma poi concordano con noi dicendo "Quando l'ultimo Black Hawk andrà in demolizione, il suo equipaggio sarà riportato a casa da uno Huey".

Un pilota di UH-60, Guardia Nazionale Aerea della Virginia

Modificato da John Plaster
Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti