Vai al contenuto

Idrovolante A Scafo Centrale

Messaggi raccomandati

Ciao amici,

mi scusi, my Italian is still not sufficient to do a discussion. My problem is the following:

When you google for "Idrovolante", you find this Wikimedia picture:

1024px-M.P.G._idrovolante_a_scafo_centra

There is no type given. It is probably of Italian origin. Do you know the type? People on forum.keypublishing.com already failed to identify it, and among them are really experts!

Mille grazie for answers!

Regards, RT

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Hello!

Easy. It seems to me one of prototypes of the CMASA (Costruzioni Meccaniche Aeronautiche S.A.) MF-6, or an MF-6 "bis": Italian recon., ship-launchable seaplane. (From Pisa, or Genova city).

It was outclassed by the IMAM Ro-43/44.

(And if I can, this type of aircraft seems to me a "floatplane" with boots or floats, not a flying-boat with a single hull).

Modificato da Vultur
Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Thank you Vultur!

You say: "(And if I can, this type of aircraft seems to me a "floatplane" with boots or floats, not a flying-boat with a single hull)"

Should be "gallegiante" instead of "scafo"? Well, it looks like I am not the only one who cannot speak Italian! :whistling:

Thanks again, and regards, RT

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Thank you Vultur!

You say: "(And if I can, this type of aircraft seems to me a "floatplane" with boots or floats, not a flying-boat with a single hull)"

Should be "gallegiante" instead of "scafo"? Well, it looks like I am not the only one who cannot speak Italian! :whistling:

Thanks again, and regards, RT

Yes it didn't want to be a critique. Only a clarification.

Single-galleggiante, single-boot or single float. (Also if actually there are three).

Single hull is an aircraft like the PBY Catalina or the Grumman Goose (do you know the "Tales of the Gold Monkey" ?).

Modificato da Vultur
Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Yes it didn't want to be a critique. Only a clarification.

I didn't see it as critique. I only wanted to an ironical remark on the person who originally gave a denomination with "scafo" to the picture.

do you know the "Tales of the Gold Monkey" ?

Sorry, no. When I google for it, I see it must be a movie with a flying boat playing a major role.

CU, and regards, RT

Modificato da Romantic Technofreak
Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Hello! Yes, a Grumman Goose.

The flying boats, with single hull, have some advantages over the seaplanes with boots. The boots cause resistance and decrease aerodynamic performances. E.G.: the stall speed rises compared with the ground version without boots.

Mediterranean seaplanes have hulls different from oceanic seaplanes: because of differences in the sea's waves.

Mediterranean waves are most dangerous: because of smaller spaces between the shores of the sea, the Mediterranean waves have a smaller distance between the crests and in proportion they are higher, and close-up than in the ocean. On the ocean instead the wave are higher, but much longer. So the seaplane in the ocean can rise gradually on the long wave.

Instead, in the Mediterranean sea the aircraft runs the risk of getting inside the wave instead of rise above it. And it is very dangerous: no take off!

The hulls for the ocean are very narrow, sharp and with a deep V in section. They cut a wave.

In the Mediterranean Sea, waves are too steep for cut: not cut, but climb over! So the hulls are much more rounded: float above the water and not cut the wave! So, if the sea is too rough, no take off!!!!!

Modificato da Vultur
Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti