Vai al contenuto

Harrier - Discussione Ufficiale

Messaggi raccomandati

Ho preferito ripartire da zero, dato che la discussione sulle possibilità di manovra a ugelli invertiti era nata in maniera diversa in un altro topic.

Comunque "sull'impossibilità" di eseguire manovre invertendo gli ugelli in un contesto tattico, rimando QUI

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Posto alcune risposte interessanti trovate su aerospaceweb.org riguardanti le capacità dell'Harrier...risposte a domande molto comuni e diffuse (domande tradotte in italiano, risposte no, sorry! :P ).

1)Come riesce a stare in volo stazionato un Harrier?

The Harrier and AV-8B Harrier II are vertical/short takeoff and landing (V/STOL) aircraft. V/STOL means that the aircraft has the ability to takeoff and land either vertically (by hovering) or in a much shorter distance than is possible with a more tradtitional aircraft. To attain this hover capability, the Harrier employs a vectored-thrust system, which is only one of many methods engineers have developed in the effort to make V/STOL flight practical.

The particular mechanics of the Harrier's thrust vectoring system can be better understood by studying the picture shown below

vstol4post.jpg

The Harrier employs four small nozzles, located in pairs beneath the wing. These nozzles are able to rotate straight down to achieve hover, straight back for forward flight, or somewhere in between for short takeoff/landing and maneuverabilty in flight. This arrangement is sometimes referred to as the "four-poster" since each nozzle produces one "post" that lifts the aircraft while in hover.

The remarkable feature of the Harrier is that all of four these thrust-vectoring nozzles plus two small roll control jets in the wingtips are powered by just a single engine. The advantage of this approach is greater weight efficiency since the same powerplant is used in all modes of flight. The disadvantage, however, is that the engine must be located near the center of gravity and there is little flexibility in the overall layout of the aircraft because of the propulsion arrangement.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) L'harrier vola in hovering come gli elicotteri o semplicemente sfrutta la spinta dal suolo?

The question really comes down to a matter of perspective. Based on the way it is worded, the question would seem to be asking whether or not flying vehicles pull themselves up off the ground or push themselves off the ground. From a pure physics point of view, it makes no difference! As Newton's third law of motion states, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, so both arguments would be acceptable. As my high school physics teacher used to say, one could state that "my fist punched my little brother's stomach" or "my little brother's stomach punched my fist" and both would be equally valid. Somehow my parents never bought that argument.

But to truly answer this question, we need to take a closer look at the mechanisms by which the Harrier and a helicopter achieve hover. The helicopter is able to hover by aerodynamic means. The helicopter rotor rotates, and as it does so, it generates an aerodynamic lift force. Meanwhile, the Harrier directs its vectoring nozzles downward to generate a propulsive lift force. While both methods produce the same effect of a lifting force, the means are fundamentally different. If we were to use the hovering vehicle as the point of reference, it would clearly follow that the helicopter pulls itself upward because of the aerodynamic force acting on its rotor while the Harrier pushes itself upward because of the thrust force acting on its nozzles.

harrier.jpg

The above image illustrates the Harrier "pushing against the ground," as it were. The red streamlines indicate the high-velocity exhaust exiting through the downward-deflected nozzles to produce the thrust needed to keep the aircraft airborne.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3)Qual'è la massima altitudine a cui un Harrier può volare ipersostentato? C'è una altitudine limite come per gli elicotteri (hover ceiling)? Può ipersostentare ad altitudini elevate? Ci sono limiti al volo ipersostentato derivati da una sorte di "effetto terra" o dalle capacità del motore?

You are indeed correct that performance specifications for helicopters usually indicate a quantity called the hover ceiling, or the maximum altitude at which the craft can maintain a static hover. However, we have so far been unable to locate any similar values for the hover ceiling of the Harrier or Harrier II. While I suspect that such a maximum altitude must exist, what information we have found indicates that the ceiling is very sensitive to a number of variables.

First, we need to understand how it is that the Harrier is able to achieve hovering flight. This phenomenon we have addressed in two previous questions on Harrier thrust vectoring and its hover ability. In order to hover, a vehicle needs to produce sufficient lift force to overcome its weight. The Harrier accomplishes this task using the thrust generated by its Rolls-Royce Pegasus turbofan engine. This thrust is pointed downward using four thrust-vectoring nozzles, thereby producing a propulsive lift force that opposes the aircraft's weight.

However, the amount of thrust that an engine can produce depends on the operational conditions. For example, thrust tends to decrease with altitude since the air density decreases. In addition, hot and humid atmospheric conditions also decrease the thrust output that a jet engine can provide. These factors all play a key role in determining just how high of an altitude at which a Harrier would be able to maintain hovering flight. As a result, there may be no single value to quote for the hover ceiling of an AV-8 since it would depend so much on the thrust characteristics of the Pegasus turbofan under different operating conditions.

Unfortunately, we do not have access to any such operational data for the Harrier and can't provide any solid numbers on its engine performance. But if we had to hazard a guess, we suspect that the Harrier can probably maintain a static hover at altitudes up to perhaps 5,000 ft (1,525 m) or so.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4)Qual'è il tempo massimo di ipersostentamento dell'harrier?

As was the case in the previous question, this is another issue we've attempted to research with little success. Many of the issues associated with the maximum time of hover are also related to the maximum hover altitude discussed above. For example, the length of time for which the Harrier would be able to remain in hovering flight depends greatly on the operating conditions. Most significant of these conditions are the aircraft weight, air temperature, and humidity.

We have learned that the Harrier carries a certain amount of cooling water that is needed to prevent the Pegasus turbofan engine from overheating during hover. If operating conditions are such that the water is needed at the maximum cooling rate, there is only enough water available to remain in hover for about 90 seconds before the supply is exhausted. However, the aircraft rarely needs to use this cooling water at the maximum rate, and can therefore hover for considerably longer than 90 seconds. We're just not sure how long "considerably longer" is. We've observed the Harrier hovering at airshows for periods of time on the order of 5 minutes or more. Based on these numbers, our best guess is that the maximum time limit over which the Harrier can maintain hover is probably around 10 minutes or so.

Modificato da paperinik
Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Oltre alle Falklands ha combattuto in altre guerre?

Beh se intendi come velivolo per la difesa aerea la risposta è no....se invece intendi come velivolo d'attacco al suolo la risposta è ovviamente sì.

L'Harrier nelle sue diverse varianti (dalla Harrier II, passando per il Sea Harrier fino all'AV-8B+) è stato largamente impiegato in tutti i recenti conflitti come aereo strike leggero e aereo di supporto per le truppe.

Dal primo conflitto in Iraq è intervenuto praticamente in ogni teatro di guerra sotto le insigne dei vari operatori che lo adottano (USMC, MM, RAF e RN, Armada Espanola): Serbia, Kosovo, Afghanistan, Iraq...

EDIT: grazie Diavolo Rosso...

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Ehm da quello che so gli spagnoli non hanno mai usato i loro Harrier in un contesto operativo come, per esempio, hanno fatto i nostri nel 2001 sull'Afghanistan. Esercitazioni, ma nient'altro.

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

A proposito di Harrier e Falkland....molti del forum conoscono queste foto ma visto che è appena nata la sezione dell\'Harrier trovo utile inserirle nuovamente:

MV_Atlantic_Conveyor_Harrier.jpg

2jg9k0i.jpg

Questo dopo che 2 exocet francesi colpirono la nave mercantile HMS Atlantic Conveyor:

immaginecr.jpg

...rimando a questa discussione per chi volesse approfondire sull'Atlantic: http://www.aereimilitari.org/forum/index.p...c=9771&st=0

Modificato da paperinik
Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Dunque non era (e non c'è stato) alcun impiego operativo dell'Harrier dall'Atlantic Conveyor: semplicemente il mercantile ha trasportato gli aerei in zona d'operazioni e poi questi ultimi, decollando verticalmente, si sono trasferiti sulle due portaerei.

Invece gli inglesi usarono il Conveyor come portaelicotteri ausiliaria (si pensava non appena possibile di trasferire i GR-3 sull'isola in modo da liberare spazio per gli eli sulle PA, ma gli argentini hanno affondato l'AC prima che si potessero traferire i GR-3 a terra e, quindi, gli eli sulle PA.

Eli che sono quindi andati persi

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Cercando per il forum ho letto che in teoria potrebbe trasportare circa 5000 kg (includendo il carburante)

qui ci sono un pò di dati presi da un certo sito...si dice in giro che sia affidabile :rotfl:

Carburante: 3.519 kg nei serbatoi interni e 3.661Kg in quelli esterni

Autonomia: 1.101 km

Peso massimo al decollo: 14.061 kg, per il decollo verticale 8.870 kg

Carico massimo esterno al decollo:6,003 kg

Decollo corto:Il massimo carico utile (armi, carburante, ecc) per il decollo verticale è di 3.062 kg mentre per il decollo corto è di 7.710 kg

Peso a vuoto: 6,336 kg, il TAV-8B 6,451kg

come vedi per il decollo verticale si parla di 3000 kg..vuol dire o il carburante o le armi.

invece ho letto su vari forum che gli harrier inglesi in afghanistan non si stanno rivelando efficenti nel supporto a terra per via della mancanza del cannone, e che lo strafing con i razzi è giudicato quasi inutile...voi ne sapete di più??

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Dunque non era (e non c'è stato) alcun impiego operativo dell'Harrier dall'Atlantic Conveyor: semplicemente il mercantile ha trasportato gli aerei in zona d'operazioni e poi questi ultimi, decollando verticalmente, si sono trasferiti sulle due portaerei.

Invece gli inglesi usarono il Conveyor come portaelicotteri ausiliaria (si pensava non appena possibile di trasferire i GR-3 sull'isola in modo da liberare spazio per gli eli sulle PA, ma gli argentini hanno affondato l'AC prima che si potessero traferire i GR-3 a terra e, quindi, gli eli sulle PA.

Eli che sono quindi andati persi

Di fatto di quella flotta di elicotteri si salvò unicamente un Chinook, che al momento dell'attacco si trovava in volo. La perdita di questi elicotteri ebbe una ripercussione non indifferente per le strategie d'attacco inglesi: i soldati dovettero raggiungere Port Stanley a piedi!

Riguardo all'uso operativo dell'Atlantic, è vero che la nave non venne impiegata come portaerei in teatro di guerra, ma durante il trasferimento verso le Falkland diversi alcuni esemplari di Harrier hanno offerto la copertura aerea alla nave (e alla flotta che la accompagnava) decollando proprio dal mercantile. Nella foto che ho postato prima si notano infatti la maggior parte degli Harrier letteralmente sigillati per proteggerli dalla corrosione della salsedine, eccetto alcuni esemplari che appunto venivano usati per la difesa aerea (oltre a mantenere addestrati i piloti).

cas014.jpg

Fra l'altro ho trovato questa curiosa notizia dal "New York Times" (datata addirittura 8 Giugno 1983):

Briton Lands His Jet On a Spanish Cargo Ship

A British navy warplane made a forced landing on a Spanish cargo ship in the Atlantic on Monday after losing radio contact with its aircraft carrier base, a British Embassy spokesman said today.

The plane, a Harrier vertical take-off jet from the aircraft carrier Illustrious, touched down safely on the deck of the cargo ship Alraigo, she said.

The Spanish ship was some 120 nautical miles southwest of Oporto on the Portuguese coast.

The plane's pilot, 25-year-old Sub Lieut. Ian Watson, told reporters in Madrid by ship-to-shore telephone he had fuel for only one minute's flying time when he made the landing.

He said he could not make radio contact with the captain of the cargo ship and used hand signals to indicate his intention to land. The ship's crew then guided him down onto a makeshift landing pad of eight to 10 containers placed near a deck cran

...evidentemente dopo le Falkland i piloti della Royal Navy c'hanno preso gusto ad atterrare sui mercantili! :D

Modificato da paperinik
Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Sono sempre più convinto che una portacontainer convertita sia il metodo migliore per fare Sea-basing per una marina europea. Due o tre di queste unità, sulle 20.000 - 40.000 ton, con ampio ponte volo per gli elicotteri ed enormi capacità di carico potrebbero benissimo rifornire mooooolto a lungo una flotta

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Ho letto che il mio post sulle domande comuni dell'Harrier scritto in inglese ha causato malumore e mi si è accusato di fare comune copia e incolla.

Ricordando che di per sè già trovare le informazioni sul web non è un'opera banale (gente come Bluesky si fa letteralmente un mazzo così per trovare certe foto e certi documenti), rispedisco al mittente l'accusa poichè io ho regolarmente citato il link da cui ho attinto le informazioni: www.aerospaceweb.org

Siccome nella vita non faccio il traduttore, e non mi pagano per tradurre i documenti del presente forum, da ora in poi mi limiterò a indicare il sito dove se uno vuole può andare a spulciare per trovare le informazioni giuste....almeno così non ci sono problemi di lingua.

Bastava scrivere: mi spiegate cosa dice la risposta Y piuttosto che X? Sono certo che qualche volenteroso (incluso il sottoscritto) avrebbe risposto.

Modificato da paperinik
Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Siccome nella vita non faccio il traduttore, e non mi pagano per tradurre i documenti del presente forum, da ora in poi mi limiterò a indicare il sito dove se uno vuole può andare a spulciare per trovare le informazioni giuste....almeno così non ci sono problemi di lingua.

Suvvia Pap, non fare il permaloso, i tuoi post sono sempre bene accetti anche in inglese (tranne quelli sull'inter, a prescindere dalla lingua... :rotfl: )

Per tornare in tema; l'harrier in desert storm.

Nel 1991, l’Harrier IIs fu il primo aereo tattico dell’U.S. Marine Corps ad arrivare nel Golfo Persico nell’ambito di Desert Storm. In 42 giorni di guerra, 86 Harrier IIs volarono 3,380 sortite (4,112 ore di combattimento) e sganciarono pià di 6 milioni di libbre di bombe.

harrier4.jpg

da http://www.battle-fleet.com/pw/his/harrier2.htm:

Three AV-8B squadrons stationed approximately 40 miles from the Kuwaiti border, were the most forward deployed tactical strike aircraft during Operation Desert Storm and operated from relatively unprepared sites. One AV-8B squadron and one six-aircraft detachment operated off the landing helicopter ship USS Nassau in the Persian Gulf during Operation Desert Storm. The average turnaround time during the ground war surge was 23 minutes. In the recent Iraq campaign, the Harrier II saw extensive usage by both the USMC and RAF. USMC Harriers were based on two USMC amphbious assualt ships, USS Bataan (LHD-5) and USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6). Each carried 24 Harriers, about four times their normal complement of fixed wing aircraft, and tried out the long dormant secondary purpose of the LHD's and LHA's, that of a small aircraft carrier, or sea control ship. RAF Harriers on the other hand were based ashore in Kuwait. Two detatchments from RAF Cottesmore were sent to the region, with one known to have been based at the al Jaber airbase in Kuwait, and the other at a so far undisclosed location. A total of 23 RAF Harriers took part in the campaign at one point or another.

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

invece ho letto su vari forum che gli harrier inglesi in afghanistan non si stanno rivelando efficenti nel supporto a terra per via della mancanza del cannone, e che lo strafing con i razzi è giudicato quasi inutile...voi ne sapete di più??

perforza hanno mandato i GR7/GR9 che sono senza radar e non hanno capicità ognitempo secondo me facevano meglio a mandare i Tornado.

Modificato da ghostrider
Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti