Vai al contenuto

India ritira i mig-23bn

Tatanka

Messaggi raccomandati

nameThe Indian Air Force (IAF) will on Friday bid adieu to its MiG-23 'swing wing' ground attack fighter jets after nearly 30 years in service.

The MiG-23 BN aircraft, which were bought from the erstwhile Soviet Union to counter Pakistan's then newly acquired F-16 jets, will take to the sky for its last sortie from the Halwara airbase in Punjab on Friday.

"The jets, renamed in the IAF as Vijay (victory), were designed to replace the ageing fleet of MiG-21. They were once known as a formidable supersonic combat jets and it is going to be a nostalgic moment for us," a senior IAF official said on Thursday.

The single-seater aircraft, which was also used in Kargil War, was inducted in 1981 to meet the IAF's requirement of a tactical air strike aircraft. It also participated in operations in Siachen from 1985-86 and has operated from Leh, the highest airfield in India. It was also the first fighter aircraft to operate from the high altitude airfield Thoise in Jammu and Kashmir.

"Most of the IAF's MiG-23s have already been phased out. Its superior version the MiG-23 MF was phased out in 2007. Now we are left with only eight MiG-23 BN," the official added.

With a dubious safety record and besotted with engine troubles, the aircraft's phase-out comes because of burgeoning maintenance costs and problems relating to non-availability of spare parts.

Of the four squadrons the IAF had -- over 70 aircraft -- half of them were lost in air crashes and other accidents.

"Maintaining the aircraft fleet is very expensive for the IAF, so we have to phase out the aircraft, which has served us well over two decades-and-a-half. The aircraft incurs heavy financial costs for repairs and spares," the official added.

L'ultimo squadrone equipaggiato con i mig-23bn era lo NO.221 Valiants, che ha anche publicato un libro chiamato "Valiant to the last"

SM290.jpg

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

No, quello serve a sostituire i Fishbed.

Penso che questi siano stati sostituiti dai Su-30 MKI, poi di multiruolo hanno anche il mirage e i fucrum, oltre che il molto teorico Tejas.

Diciamo pure che di qualsiasi scelta fatta dalle forze armate indiane non si capisce mai più di tanto...

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

No, quello serve a sostituire i Fishbed.

Penso che questi siano stati sostituiti dai Su-30 MKI, poi di multiruolo hanno anche il mirage e i fucrum, oltre che il molto teorico Tejas.

Diciamo pure che di qualsiasi scelta fatta dalle forze armate indiane non si capisce mai più di tanto...

Ah, giusto! :rolleyes:

Comunque, in effetti, in India parlare di standardizzazione e razionalizzazione è un abominio!

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Ospite intruder
Ah, giusto! :rolleyes:

Comunque, in effetti, in India parlare di standardizzazione e razionalizzazione è un abominio!

Non mi sembra abbiano tanti soldi da scialare, benché, sicuramente, il governo non faccia problemi a stanziare per la difesa. Forse sarebbe ora cominciassero a fare un pensierino sulla standardizzazione, a meno che il problema non sia politico: acquistiamo armi da più Paesi, anche politicamente contrapposti o comunque avversari fra loro, così, male che vada, abbiano sempre un fornitore disponibile.

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Sì però l'India pretende sempre nei contratti della difesa la previsione di notevoli compensazioni industriali e rilevanti trasferimenti di Know-how e tecnologie sensibili.

Un colpo al cerchio ed uno alla botte, piano piano sviluppa le capacità per supportare una valida industria aeronautica nazionale...

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti